College of Business & Economics



What do I need for an advising meeting?

  • Make an appointment with your adviser before the registration rush. Be on time.
  • Bring your most recent advising form, your academic requirements found on Towson Online Services, which includes your current term classes, and your term-by-term plan of courses. Be prepared. Use the Business Administration Advising Form Checksheet (PDF) to see how to correctly fill out your advising form.
  • Become familiar with your program requirements, course prerequisites and course sequencing as listed in the current catalog and on CBE’s website. Tip: Keep all your advising material in an Advising Portfolio.

Whom do I talk to if I have a question?

Contact your faculty adviser. To find out who your adviser is, go to Online Services. Once you are in Online Services, go to Self Service>Student Center. Your adviser’s name and contact information is located on the right-hand side of the screen under Advisor. If you don't see an adviser assigned, visit your intended major/concentration department.

Major/Concentration/Track Department Location Contact Information
Accounting and Legal Studies Accounting ST 102 410-704-2227
e-Business Major, Project Management and Business Analysis Track e-Business and Technology Management ST 314 410-704-2783
Economics Major, Economics Track Economics ST 103 410-704-2959
Finance Finance ST 314 410-704-2465
Marketing Marketing ST 123 410-704-3351
Management, Entrepreneurship, International Business, Human Resource Management Management ST 116 410-704-2934
Undecided Concentration/ Track CBE Student Academic and Career Services ST 301 410-704-3496

Tip: Introduce yourself to your adviser by calling, emailing, or stopping by his/her office.


Admission to the Business Administration (BUAD) Major

What are the requirements for admission to the major?

Students are admitted to the major in business administration (BUAD) on a competitive basis after first being admitted to the University. Admission to the university does not guarantee admission to the major. Degree candidates intending to major in business administration are designated as "pre-business administration" (PBUA) until admitted into the major.

In order to be admitted, students must satisfy the following requirements:

1. Formal admission to TU as a degree candidate.
2. Minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.00 or higher for all course work.
3. Completion of most of the lower-level General Education/Core Curriculum requirements.
4. Grade equivalent of 2.00 or higher in each lower-level CBE required courses.
5. Minimum average (GPA) of 2.70 for ALL seven lower-level CBE required courses.
6. Completion of the Computer Proficiency Exam (CPE) with a passing score of 70 percent or higher.

Lower-Level CBE Requirements (21-22 units)
ACCT 201 Principles of Financial Accounting
(or ACCT 211 Honors) (3)
ACCT 202 Principles of Managerial Accounting
(or ACCT 212 Honors) (3)
ECON 201 Microeconomics (or ECON 203 Honors) (3)
ECON 202 Macroeconomics (or ECON 204 Honors) (3)
ECON 205 or MATH 231 Statistics for Business and Economics I (3)
Basic Statistics (or MATH 233) (3)
LEGL 225 Legal Environment of Business (3)
MATH 211 or MATH 273 Calculus for Applications (3) or
Calculus I (4)

Why is my major listed as PBUA?

Until you meet the admission requirements, you are classified as a pre-business administration (PBUA) student.


Catalog Year

How can I determine my catalog year?

The catalog year is listed on your transcript, your academic requirements found on Towson Online Services and other academic records, such as the Evaluation of Transfer Credit Report.

May I use a different catalog?

Yes. You may elect to use the catalog that was in effect at the time of your initial matriculation at your transfer institution provided you will complete your graduation requirements within 10 years. To change, obtain a Catalog Selection Petition form and return to the CBE Student Academic and Career Services office, Stephens Hall, room 301.

If I change my catalog, will my requirements change?

The courses required to complete your degree will depend on the catalog you select. Your major requirements may change. Contact your faculty adviser or the CBE Student Academic and Career Services to evaluate your courses using the new catalog.

Why should I know my catalog year?

There are different programs for different catalog years. All graduation requirements including the General Education/Core Curriculum and your major requirements must be fulfilled according to the catalog assigned to you within 10 years. Following the incorrect catalog year may result in taking the wrong courses.


CBE Required Courses

Can a CBE course also count as a Gen Ed/Core Curriculum course?

Yes, a few courses that count toward both the General Education/Core Curriculum and the CBE courses are:

Courses General Education Category University Core Curriculum Category
ECON 201/203 or 202/204
Social and Behavioral Science
Statistics course (ECON 205 or MATH 231/233)
MATH 211 or MATH 273

When can I enroll in upper-level required courses for my major?

You may enroll in the major courses when you meet the admission requirements according to your assigned catalog.

Will a C, D, or F grade count for major credit?

A grade of “C” or higher is required for a major course. If a C-/D+/D grade was earned in a course transferred from another institution, repeating the course will result in ”Duplication of Transfer Credit." An additional 3 units will be required for graduation (i.e., 123 minimum) to replace the duplication of the transfer course.


Graduation Requirements

What do I need to do to graduate?

For a Bachelor of Science degree, you need:

• The General Education/Core Curriculum requirements
• A minimum of 120 earned unit hours
• A cumulative GPA of at least 2.0
• A grade equivalent of 2.0 or higher in all courses required for the major
• At least 32 upper-level (300-400) units (includes transfer credits and TU units)
• At least 30 units completed at TU

For a Bachelor of Arts degree, you need to complete all the requirements for Bachelor of Science degree and complete a foreign language through the intermediate levels.

When and how can I apply for graduation?

Find out how to apply for graduation from theOffice of the Registrar.



How do I register for courses?

Complete registration instructions can be found on the Office of the Registrar's website.

Why did I receive an error message?

When you select a class to enroll in, the system checks your academic record to ensure that you have met the prerequisites for the course. It will determine whether you are currently enrolled in or have completed the prerequisite course(s) with a grade of “C” or higher, and whether you are a major and not a pre-major.

If you are currently enrolled in a prerequisite, you are allowed to register on the condition that you complete the prerequisite with a grade of “C” or higher. If you do not pass the prerequisite course, you must drop the class requiring this prerequisite and add the prerequisite. If you fail to do this, you will be disenrolled from the course.

If you receive a prerequisite error message but are certain that you meet all course prerequisites, go to the department offering the course to request permission to enroll in a specific section of that course.

  • Present a copy of your unofficial transcript. Highlight the grade for each prerequisite course(s), your total units and current major. (Your current major is printed above the current term on your transcript.)
  • If a transfer course was accepted to fulfill a prerequisite, also bring a copy of your Transfer Credit Report with the transfer course and grade highlighted and a photocopy of the “Petition for Acceptance of Transfer Credits for CBE Major/Minor” form.
Course Code Department Location Contact Information
Accounting and Legal Studies ACCT, FPLN, LEGL Accounting ST 102 410-704-2227
e-Business Major, Project Management and Business Analysis track EBTM e-Business and Technology Management ST 314 410-704-2783
Economics Major, Economics Track ECON Economics ST 103 410-704-2959
Finance FIN Finance ST 314 410-704-2465
Marketing MKTG Marketing ST 123 410-704-3351
Management, International Business, Human Resource Management ENTR, MNGT Management ST 116 410-704-2934
Business Excellence and Pre-Business BUSX CBE Student Academic Services ST 301 410-704-3496



Transfer Courses

What are the policies pertaining to transfer courses?

  • Only one transferred course will be accepted to fulfill a concentration/track requirement.
  • At least 30 units of CBE upper-level courses must be completed at Towson University.
  • Economics majors must complete at least 15 units in economics at Towson University.
  • Maximum of 64 units are allowed from a two-year institution. Maximum of 90 units are allowed from a four-year institution or from a combination of two- and four-year institutions.

How do I transfer a course to be accepted for my major/minor?

Submit a “Petition for Acceptance of Transfer Credits” for the course to be accepted as a major/minor requirement to the CBE Student Academic and Career Services office, Stephens Hall 301. Attach a catalog description of the course from the institution at which the units were originally earned. If a course is not accepted as equivalent, you must complete the course at Towson University.

How do I determine how a course will transfer to Towson?

To determine transfer equivalencies use the state of Maryland's ARTSYS © - The Articulation System:

What does "validation required" mean?

A lower-level course (100-200) taken at a community college or four-year educational institution is not equivalent to a Towson University’s upper-level major course. In order to fulfill an upper-level major course requirement, the content of the transfer work must be validated. A transfer course requiring validation is identified with a "T" instead of the 200-number code, e.g., MKTG T41 for MKTG341, MNGT T61 for MNGT 361, etc.

How do I validate a course?

Complete an advanced course as specified below with a grade equivalent of 2.0 or higher at TU.

Transfer Course Validate With
FIN T31 FIN 351
MNGT T81 MNGT 421 or 451

Important: Validate the transferred course, don't repeat it. If you enroll in a course with the same course content as the transferred course, the units earned in the transfer course will not count toward graduation because it will be treated as a repeat.

What is an "Evaluation of Transfer Credits" report?

The Evaluation of Transfer Credits from the Transfer Evaluation Service Office shows which transfer courses are accepted as fulfilling a General Education/Core Curriculum requirement, potential major/minor credit or free electives.

Tip: Check the Evaluation of Transfer Credit report, found on Online Services under:
Home > Self Service > Student Center> Transfer Credit Evaluation (tab).


College of Business & Economics

Phone: 410-704-3496
Fax: 410-704-2300

Office Location

Stephens Hall, Room 218
Hours: Monday - Friday
8 a.m. - 5 p.m.

Mailing Address

College of Business & Economics
Towson University
8000 York Road
Towson, MD 21252-0001