Students must meet the following requirements to complete an internship:
- Internship hours must be performed during the duration of the semester in which the
student is enrolled in the course. Internships from prior semesters will not be accepted.
Students must complete 120 hours in the internship to receive course credit.
- The internship must take place in an office. Students cannot telecommute or work from
a home setting.
- The company must have more than five full-time employees. The employees cannot be
contractual or telecommuter employees.
- The internship cannot consist of door-to-door selling or pure cold calling.
- The internship can only include 10 percent clerical work.
- Students cannot intern for a family member.
- Students cannot intern at their own business.
- Students may not use the same internship for both a Departmental Internship and Professional
Experience BUSX 460.
Internship Job Description Requirements
- Students must provide a job description on company letterhead with the supervisor’s
contact information and signature. No exceptions will be accepted.
- The job description must include in detail all of the intern’s duties.
- The job description should not be too broad.
- Words such as assist, learn, shadow or observe should not be used.
- The job description MUST be written by the employer’s HR department or the supervisor
of the internship. Students should not write the job description.
Out-of-State Internship Guidelines
Students completing an internship at a location that requires more than one hour of
travel to and from Towson University's campus are required to sign an out-of-state
waiver. This waiver ensures the student is aware of the BUSX 460 absence policy and
that missing a class due to travel associated with the distance of the internship
is not approved by the Business Excellence department. Missing more than one class
results in a failing grade for the course. If a student decides to participate in
an internship located outside of the reasonable travel distance, the business excellence
department encourages the student to enroll in a section of the course that meets
on a day when the student is not responsible for attending the internship to avoid