Computer Proficiency Exam
Students intending to major in accounting, business administration, e-business, or
any combined majors within the College of Business and Economics are required to pass
the CBE Computer Proficiency Exam with a grade of at least 70 percent to be admitted
to those majors. The exam covers Microsoft Office 2013 software programs Excel, PowerPoint
Steps for Taking the Computer Proficiency Exam (CPE)
Step 1: Purchase the CPE software
- Go to MyITLab.
- Follow the directions on the MyITLab website.
Exam options, price, and what is included
Option 1: MyITLab Test Out
Includes unlimited attempts at the practice exam and two attempts at the exam
Course ID: mccomas86345
Option 2: MyITLab Test Out & Training
Includes unlimited attempts at the practice exam, two attempts at the exam, tutorials,
activities, quizzes and other student resources
Course ID: mccomas65715
Step 2: Enroll in the course
After you purchase the software, you must enroll in the course.
- Go to MyITLab.
- On the left hand side click the package you purchased.
- Click Enroll.
- Log in using your Pearson username and password.
- Once you log in, click Enroll.
- Select Yes that you have a Pearson account and enter your log in information again.
- Enter the course id (listed above) that corresponds to package you purchased and click
- Verify your information and click Next.
>> Steps for enrolling in the course with screenshots (PDF)
Step 3: Log in and access the material
- Log in to MyITLab.
- Enter your Pearson username and password.
- Under MyLab & Mastering, click MyITLab for Office 2013.
- Select Course Material. You will see a folder for the Practice Exam and a folder for
the Computer Proficiency Exam. If you purchased the Test Out and Training, you will
also see Volumes 1 and 2 of Exploring Office 2013.
Step 4: Take the Test
- Under the Course Materials tab, select Computer Proficiency Exam.
- You will see a section for Excel, PowerPoint and Word. Each section is timed (one
hour for Excel, 30 minutes for Word and 30 minutes for Power Point). You are allowed
two attempts per question. You will not be graded until all three sections are completed.
Your final grade is based on the results of all three sections and is calculated in
the grade book.
- Your desktop applications and web browsers will be blocked from use during the test.
- The test package gives you two attempts to pass the exam. If you fail to pass the
exam after two attempts, then you must purchase the exam package again.
- Exam results are posted in Towson Online Services/PeopleSoft every Monday.
- Students who choose to take the CPE on campus may do so in the CBE Open Lab, Stephens
Hall, room 208.
For more information, email email@example.com or call 410-704-4753.