Computer Proficiency Exam
Passing the Computer Proficiency Exam (CPE) with a grade of at least 70 percent is
a requirement for admission to the majors for the following students ONLY:
- Students with a catalog year between 2008-09 and 2014-15 intending to major in business
administration, e-business and/or accounting
- Students with a catalog year of 2015-2016 intending to major in accounting
Students with a catalog year of 2015-2016 intending to major in business administration
or e-business do NOT have to take the Computer Proficiency Exam. Their computer skills
will be tested in a required course for their major.
Students who must take the exam in order to be admitted to their major are encouraged
to take the exam as soon as possible to ensure they are able to enroll in courses
and meet the admission requirements. The exam covers Microsoft Office 2013 software
programs Excel, PowerPoint and Word.
Taking the Computer Proficiency Exam (CPE)
Step 1: Register and Enroll in a New Course
- Go to http://pearsonmylabandmastering.com. Under Register, select Student.
- Click Register Now.
- Enter ONE of the following course IDs based on which option you want to purchase and
Option 1: MyITLab Test Out
Course ID: mccomas44126
Includes unlimited attempts at the practice exam and two attempts at the exam
Option 2: MyITLab Test Out & Training
Course ID: mccomas70485
Includes unlimited attempts at the practice exam, two attempts at the exam, tutorials,
activities, quizzes and other student resources
- After verifying your course information, enter your username and password and click
Sign in. If you don’t have a Pearson account, click Create an Account and follow the
onscreen instructions. Look for helpful hints to guide you.
- Once you sign in, on the Register page, select Purchase Access Online.
- Under Use a Credit Card or PayPal, click the button for the access level you want.
The button shows the subtotal for your order.
- Select whether you want to pay with a credit card or use PayPal, then enter payment
- Click Review to review your order details. If you need to change anything, click Change.
Click Cancel if you decide not to complete your purchase.
- Click Make Payment to submit your order.
- Click Go to Your Course to access your course.
Step 2: Take the Exam
- Under the Course Materials tab, select Computer Proficiency Exam.
- You will see a section for Excel, PowerPoint and Word. Each section is timed (one
hour for Excel, 30 minutes for Word and 30 minutes for Power Point). You are allowed
two attempts per question. You will not be graded until all three sections are completed.
Your final grade is based on the results of all three sections and is calculated in
the grade book.
- Your desktop applications and web browsers will be blocked from use during the test.
- The test package gives you two attempts to pass the exam. If you fail to pass the
exam after two attempts, then you must purchase the exam package again.
- Exam results are posted in Towson Online Services/PeopleSoft every Monday.
- Students who choose to take the CPE on campus may do so in the CBE Open Lab, Stephens
Hall, room 208.
For more information, email email@example.com or call 410-704-4753.